I did it! I survived my first day of working the door at Walmart! YAY me. My back is killing me, my feet hurt and my shoulders are sore, but I DID IT. Yes, I did spend the day saying “Welcome to Walmart” a ” Hi, how are you” thrown in to keep me from falling asleep.
There is a reason for the yellow vests you see when you walk in. There is a reason Walmart has greeters. I know y’all may not believe me, but they do want their customers to feel welcome and that their business is valued. It is. Trust me, I know, I watched all the videos during training on what they strive for in customer service.
Heck, I even learned something about myself or maybe I was just reminded about things about myself?
- I like people for the most part.
- I like putting a smile on someone’s face, whether it’s the mom that is stressed to the max when she walks in, and you tell her, I like your nail polish or cute boots, what ever. For just a moment she smiles. Totally worth the effort! Or the little lady whose face lights up when you say “Hello, how are you today” and she stops to tell you about her latest drama. You know she’s lonely and thankful someone took the time to listen.
- I also learned yesterday that I am a Communist Democrat. Yep, you heard it here first. I never knew that about myself.
A man came through with a bag and when he went through the sensors, the beeper went off. So with my trainer by my side, I asked to see his receipt. The item in the bag was on the receipt but I had to note it on my log. As I am fumbling with the receipt trying to follow procedure, he went on a rant that he was running late and I was making him later. I apologized and my trainer explained that I was new and learning and apologized for the delay. Instead of being gracious, he grabbed the receipt from my hand and yelled that I was a Communist Democrat who was the a major part of the problem with the country. I was ruining things for us all……….So now we all know I am part of the problem, not the solution. We’ve been warned!
Actually my trainer was worried that the man had upset me. Nope he didn’t. I was laughing when he left. I mean, seriously? I did wonder what drug he was on?
- Yes, people do shop at Walmart in their P.J.’s and house shoes. With no bra, and messy hair, with kids and husband in tow. Sorry no pictures. You’ll have to check out one of the People of Walmart pages for that.
- My back will quit hurting in about 2 weeks. After I get used to standing in one place. For 8 hours. For 4 days in a row.
- Memory foam in my shoes is my friend. Maybe my best friend. ( Sorry Ettes, I still love you but you aren’t keeping my feet from hurting).
- Take some Aleve BEFORE you go to work. That way when things start hurting you don’t notice it as much.
- EAT on your “meal” break. If you don’t by the time you get home, you want to eat everything in the house, but you’re too tired to cook it.
As far as my worrying about Mike? He did ok. He didn’t eat as well as he would have if I had been home. I had to hide in the bathroom so I could call him and make sure he took his meds ( with my supervisor’s blessing. He’s aware of the issues I face at home right now).
And now Belles and Beaus, off I go for another day on the job!
COPYRIGHT© 2017– Southern Belle Charm~ Unauthorized use of this material without express written consent from this blog’s author’s and/or owner’s is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided full credit is given to Southern Belle Charm and/or it’s owners with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.