It’s that time of year….Fall, which is my favorite season! I love the decorations and the feeling in the air, the way the air smells, the clothes, the food, well all of it.
Since this is Shan’s first year in her 1926 Craftsman and it does have that amazing front porch and front door, I wanted them to have a wreath for Halloween that would be the envy of the neighborhood. I found this one in a catalog:
A little cost prohibitive for us
So being crafty, I decided I would make one. This one is made with Deco Mesh, which Shan is not a huge fan of, so I knew I needed to come up with something different.
I headed off to Walmart, Dollar Tree and A.C. Moore ( they turned mine into an outlet store. YAY me)
Here’s everything I used to make the Halloween wreath:
1~ 12″ wire wreath from (A.C. Moore)
160 yards of tulle ~ 6″ wide, cut into 8″ strips (Walmart has 20 yards for a $1.00 in their seasonal decoration section)
1 bag~ of Skeleton heads ( Dollar Tree)
1 roll of wired ribbon with glitter (Dollar Tree)
1 bag of spider webbing (Dollar Tree)
1 string of purple Halloween lights (Dollar Tree)
1 bag of little spiders (Dollar Tree)
1 Creepy Cloth (Dollar Tree)
Hot glue gun
Silver Metallic Spray Paint (Walmart $3.77 a can)
After playing with the length of the tulle, I decided that 8 inches worked best for what I was trying to do. So I got busy cutting and cutting and cutting………Next time I am going to figure out a better way to cut all that tulle.
Then I started tying the strips to the wreath form. Start on the inside and go all the way around. Every so often, I would cut a strip of the Creep Cloth and tie it in, just to add a bit of texture to the wreath and to have something besides all that tulle.
I skipped the bottom middle wire, I knew I would need somewhere to weave the lights in and out of.
On the 2 top wires, I tied the tulle, going over both at one time. The wreath will be very full and fluffy doing it that way.
Using my spray paint, I painted the little spiders silver, they weren’t showing up well black on black and I thought it needed a bit of sparkle and something to break up all the black. I also painted the little full skeleton I had from last year, again I wanted something to break up the black~
While that was drying, I wove the lights in and out of the tulle. (Sorry, it doesn’t show up very well in the pictures. Maybe Shan will take a pic when she gets it hung on the door)
After playing around with the skeleton heads and finding a layout I liked, I used the glue gun to add just a dab of glue and stuck it on the tulle. Again, using the glue gun with just a dab, I attached the spiders I had painted silver. I did find a partial can of spray glitter, so I lightly dusted then before attaching them to the tulle. Using very little of the spider web material, I added some of that and played with it till it looked like I wanted it too…..That’s it, there ya go!
Easy as pie to do and the worst part was cutting all the tulle. I have a little over $25.00 in this wreath and Shan actually likes it better than the $300 one. Score one for Mom~
© 2014 – Southern Belle Charm~ Unauthorized use of this material without express written consent from this blog’s author’s and/or owner’s is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided full credit is given to Southern Belle Charm and/or it’s owners with appropriate and specific direction to the original content